Saturday, January 29, 2011

Happy Anniversary! ( I think)

Let me preface this by saying that my husband and I do not make a big deal over our birthdays, our anniversary or Christmas.  Pretty early on in our relationship, I learned that he was just not a celebratory kind of guy. Actually, I became painfully aware of that fact on a camping/riding trip, that took place several years before we were married.  Knocking around in the mountains, on our horses, there was some conversation over something that he had forgotten to do.  After we had established the fact that he had, indeed, forgotten to do whatever it was that he was supposed to do, the conversation went like this....

Him: You can't expect me to remember everything!

Me:  Actually, I don't expect you to remember anything! Do you know what today is?

Him:  Well...it's not our anniversary? (back then we used to celebrate the anniversary of our first date)  It's not a holiday...ummm...

Me:  It's my birthday.  Today is MY BIRTHDAY!!! 

Him: Oh. Uh.... sorry, Baby.

He lived a hard life for the next few days.

Yesterday was our 6th anniversary.  Earlier this week the following conversation transpired.....


Me:  Friday is our anniversary.

Him: That's right! It is on Friday!


Me:  I'll bet you don't even know how many years we've been married.

Him (All indignant like) :  Yes, I do!  We've been married for six years!


I was impressed BEYOND belief...until yesterday...... when I came home from work and this conversation took place...

Me:  Happy anniversary, Baby! 

Him:  Happy anniversary!  How many years has it been?  Five?

Am I living in the fricking TWILIGHT ZONE???



2 comments: