Saturday, July 17, 2010

My Loaded Bucket


For whatever reason, I woke in the middle of the night and began thinking about what I might put on my bucket list. I thought and I thought, but drew nothing but a blank. My fear of heights prevents me from listing things like sky diving, bungee-jumping and parasailing, and my lack of enthusiasm where foreign countries are concerned prevents me from listing a lot of other things.

Rather than a list of things I haven't done, what formed in my mind was a list of things that I have done. It blew me away.

First and foremost, I am the mother of two great children who (in spite of me) turned out to be really good people. Granted, the things I am mentioning in this paragraph are not really what people put on a list of things they would want to do before they die, but this is MY blog and I'll mention whatever I choose. I have two really cool step-children. It's so nice when your step-kids tell you that they love you and you believe them! There are six awesome grandchildren sprinkled in the mix, too.

As for my life experiences, I have:
  • been snow, water and jet-skiing as well as snowmobiling.
  • gone whitewater rafting.
  • sat on Virginia Beach and ate ice cream with all three of my sisters.
  • driven the longest bridge in the world, Lake Pontchartrain Causeway. (24 miles)
  • driven the Mackinac Bridge. (one of the worlds longest suspension bridges)
  • driven the old Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Florida.
  • seen buffalo, bear, moose and elk in the wild.
  • chased a bull while riding a horse. (tequila courage)
  • visited Niagara Falls several times.
  • been at Mt. Rushmore twice.
  • watched in awe as the Northern Lights danced in the sky.
  • been on Mt. Mitchell. (the highest peak in NC.)
  • played a bass drum in the worlds longest parade. (Detroit 1976)
  • looked out over the Badlands in South Dakota.
  • watched the sun rise over the Atlantic and watched it set on the Gulf of Mexico and Lake Michigan.
  • driven on Daytona Beach.
  • seen the Rolling Stones in concert, twice.
  • ridden my horse on the highest peak in Virginia.
  • looked at actual Revolutionary war bullet holes in the Old North Church.
  • driven much of the Blueridge Parkway.
  • literally had my breath taken away by the beauty of the Rocky Mountains.
  • bought a coffee cup on Pikes Peak. (after 33 years...I'm still drinking coffee out of that cup)
  • had my picture taken by Plymouth Rock.
  • seen Tina Turner in concert. She put on an AWESOME show!
  • almost gotten caught peeing on the Appalachian Trail.
The last one is not one of my finer moments, but (in my defense) I didn't even realize that I was on the Appalachian Trail at the time. I sought cover behind a boulder and found what looked like a deer path. Thankfully, the bandanna-wearing dog emerged before the hikers.

2 comments:

  1. As afraid as you are of heights, you sure as hell have been on a lot of bridges!

    ReplyDelete