Monday, January 19, 2009

How Are You The Smorning?

Carrie (my daughter) has been an aspiring writer since a very early age. Even at five or six years old she always had her nose in a book or pen and paper in hand. Not much has changed in that respect except the pen and paper have been replaced with a laptop. My parents were visiting from Michigan when six-year-old Carrie asked my mother how to spell "smorning". Naturally, my mom questioned the word. "You know, Grandma, like: How are you the smorning?". When her grandmother tried to explain that the phrase was actually, "How are you THIS MORNING?" Carrie became frustrated with her. Stupid Grandma! How could she not know that "smorning" is a real word! After all, she had heard that word a thousand times.

Sawdite! When I was a little girl, (long before the 'Godfather' movies came out) that's what my sister (Betty) used to say, but (to me) it sounded more like, sedite. I knew exactly what she meant when she said it, because of the context in which the word was used.


There really is no point to this particular blog, but I would just like to tell Carrie and Betty that sawdite the smorning!


6 comments:

  1. From www.urbandictionary.com, the definition of 'smorning' is, "today's morning - derived from this morning." Aunt B is on her own with the "sawdite." What the heck is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um....I'm a bit slow...swing by my desk and use it in a sentence for me. Sometimes I process better verbally - awright?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooo glad that Renee didn't get it either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Smorning, but not the sawdite. Guess if I said it and you can spell it, it's got to be a word. I'm sure Webster didn't remember all the words, two beginning with S were left out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't sawdite come from the cartoon with Quick Draw? I didn't make up the word just repeated it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just stumbled on this doing a Google search for "the smorning." I know I pronounce it that way and often have to back space and correct when attempting to type "this morning." I was Googling to see if I was the only one. Very happy to see that I am not. I'm at a loss with the Sawdite, though.

    ReplyDelete